Starting this Sunday, Citi Field will be playing their own part in the craft beer movement by welcoming Denmark-based Mikkeller Brewing NYC to the stadium, just in time for baseball season. Founded by Mikkel Borg Bjergsø, this will be the company’s first-ever East Coast location, following their initial U.S. launch in San Diego which opened two years ago.
The 10,000-square-foot space has a transparent floor-plan that will act as a brewery, bar and restaurant. Guests will be able to actually see, hear and smell all facets of the brewing process while they drink and dine. As the Mikkeller Brewing NYC website suggests, the space was designed to “optimize creativity, agility, and collaboration” — sporting baseball-themed murals and steelwork by a Brooklyn-based architect.
The beers themselves are made inside of a 20-barrel brewhouse with single batch fermenters and a real-time canning line. Inside the bar-restaurant, goers will find Mikkeller Brewing NYC merchandise, 60 taps to choose from and food offerings from acclaimed Nordic chef Claus Meyer, as well as offerings from well-known local New York establishments.
Mikkeller Brewing NYC will be the first location in the company’s history to be connected to a professional sports venue—but never fear, the brewery will be open year-round with its own separate entrance from Citi Field. This way, whether you’re going to the stadium or not, you can still pay Mikkeller a visit. Of course, they’ll be serving ballpark-inspired beers (available as a tasting flight) but they’ll also be serving 4-ounce, large pints or 11-ounce pours of all their beers on tap.
- Mikkeller is based in Copenhagen, Denmark and has become an internationally acclaimed Danish craft brewery- currently exporting to more than 50 countries.
- The founder, Mikkel started out as a home brewing math and physics teacher. In 2005, Mikkel’s Beer Geek Breakfast (brewed in his kitchen), was named best stout in the world by RateBeer.
- Since 2003, Mikkeller has created more than 1,000 different beers
- Mikkeller Brewing NYC will be the 32nd location worldwide
- Mikkeller has a running club that has 160 chapters in 30 countries and more than 10,000 members
- Mikkeller has collaborated with some of the best restaurants in the world – including Noma (Denmark), Alinea (USA) and El Cellar de Cab Roca (Spain)
[Photos by Eater]